CED work involves a blend of academic training, professional experience, and personal commitment.
- Masters of Business Administration
- Masters of Community Economic Development
- Masters of Environmental Design
- B.A. in History and Psychology
Examples of Feasibility Assessment and Business Planning
- Assessed the viability a new social enterprise – Ethical AI. Submitted a business case for funding, working as part of a larger consulting team of programmers, high tech investors and market researchers.
- For the Multicultural Health Brokers, helped determine the feasibility of a bulk purchasing grocery box for low income, racialized Edmontonians.
- With Momentum, steered the restructuring of Be Local, a community-impact driven business association. Created a business plan for the new entity.
- Created a business case for Project Job Creation, a construction training and renovation social enterprise, for the Edmonton, CDC.
- Developed a business plan for expanding the Bissell Centre’s casual labour offering into a larger employment enterprise.
- For End Poverty Edmonton, developed the Business Case for the Community Development Corporation.
- Helped launch a social enterprise, C Returns, which offers energy saving retrofits to homeowners. “The RetroFitters“ (article about C Returns – St. Albert Today, March 8, 2014).
- Conducted a feasibility assessment of a multi-purpose arts centre for Innovative Services, City of Edmonton.
- Developed SAGE’s frozen meals social enterprise business plan.
- Created a business case for a mixed use, Children’s Resource Centre for the City of Lacombe.
- Animated a community development group through the creation of two business plans – The Good Food Box, and Live Local.
- For Homeward Trust, developed a business plan for a used furniture retail enterprise that helps furnished apartments for formerly homeless people.
- Wrote the business plan for the Social Enterprise Fund.
Examples of Training on Social Enterprise and CED
- Created and taught the curriculum for BUS 371 – Socially and Environmentally Responsible Business for Kings University.
- Created and taught Social Enterprise Bootcamp for the Edmonton CDC.
- Developed and taught an Introduction to CED course, as well as provided ongoing mentoring the City of Edmonton’s Community Development social workers.
- Delivered a workshop on Due Diligence and the Development Process for CMHC.
- Wrote a community–led housing needs and assessment process for the City of Lacombe.
- Wrote the business plan for an Off Reserve First Nations for TSAG.
Examples of Housing and Real Estate
- Project Managed the re-imagination of McDougall United Church into a sustainable, multiple purpose hub. Work done in partnership with Trinity Centres Foundation.
- Spearheaded Project 10, the acquisition and redevelopment 10 derelict inner properties for the Edmonton CDC.
- With Bissell Centre, explored the transformation of the historically significant Beverly United Church into a CED hub.
- Renovated an historic, inner city commercial building using casual and refugee labour into a vibrant Indigenous arts collective building for 2072638 Alberta Ltd.
- Provided early-stage consulting on creative financing options for a housing project co-sponsored by Islamic Family and Community Services and Right at Home Society.
- Delivered a workshop on Due Diligence and the Housing Development Process for CMHC.
- Developed multiphase, multi-building pro formas and project development concepts, as well as budget reviews, for Homeward Trust.
- Wrote a community-led housing needs and assessment process for the City of Lacombe
- Wrote the business plan for an Off Reserve First Nations project proposal for family, affordable housing.
- Developed and delivered an Employer Assisted Housing pilot project for Alberta Employment and Immigration.
- Explored the creation and adoption of good neighbour agreements for social housing projects with E4C.
Examples of CED Evaluation and Research
- Calculating the true social and economic costs of derelict housing for the Edmonton CDC.
- Evaluated the Super Clinic model of combined ID, banking, RESP and benefits applications into single, integrated events for Bissell Centre.
- For the Edmonton John Howard Society, calculated the Social Return on Investment of a wrap-around model of natural supports for chronic offenders.
- Evaluated Jobs First and the Community Bridge programs for Bissell Centre
- Assisted the Early Childhood Development Collaborative with researching and developing a framework for respite care.
- Developed a provincial analysis of the Pay for Sex Industry in Alberta for COARSE.
- Provided outcome-focused evaluation training for various departments within Alberta Agriculture.
- Developed an evaluation framework for the Community Action Plan on Human Trafficking for ACT.
- For DECSA, led programmatic reviews of two employment programs that target women involved in street prostitution and/or spousal abuse.
- Providing a training program on SROI on behalf of the Edmonton SROI Network.
- Evaluated the 3-year Family Self-Sufficiency Project for the Capital Region Housing Corporation.
- With the City of Edmonton, evaluated the SNUG program. Intended to assist women seeking to leave a street-involved lifestyle.
- For E4C, evaluated the Women Moving Forward Program, intended to help women leave shelters in favour of independent living.
Examples of Policy and Practice Change
- With Buy Social Canada, developed the Social Procurement framework for the Municipality of Wood Buffalo
- Helped developed the Social Procurement framework for the City of Edmonton with Buy Social Canada.
- With the United Way of the Capital Region, designed a community-based, large-scale poverty alleviation initiative called Communities United. 1000 Families Initiative became part of this initiative. (For more information: https://www.tamarackcommunity.ca/latest/1000-families-initiative)
- For the Alberta Provincial Poverty Framework review, conducted Board and member consultations for E4C, and three focus groups with people experiencing poverty for Bissell Centre.
- Helped establish the business case for a community-owned development company – the Edmonton CDC.
- Created business case for the creation of a community-owned, social finance company, the Edmonton Social Enterprise Fund.
Examples of CED-Related Volunteer Experience
- The Piazza (McCauley Development Cooperative) founding board member
- A Better Lot (Inner City Housing Development Corporation) founding board member
- City of Edmonton, derelict housing committee member
- Central Edmonton Community Land Trust founding member
- Global Visions Film Festival board member
- Home Ed (City of Edmonton), board member
- Inner City Housing Society, board member
- Local Economy Trading System founding member
- McCauley Community League planning committee chairperson
- Edmonton Community Loan Fund founding board member